- (n) The Security of the First World; the military dancers
on stage with Public Enemy at their concerts.
- (n) Wrong spelling of the Mexican word ese, which means dude.
"SA's cool, don't fuck with them boys" - Ice Cube (Really
- sack chaser
- (n) Woman using a man for money.
- (n) Sacramento, California.
- sagging deuce
- (n) A lowered Cadillac car.
- (n) A scarface is someone who is a gangster or models themselves
on the character of Tony Montana in the film "Scarface"(1983).
Scarface is one of the most influential films with regard to
hip-hop. Many of the samples used on rap albums are from Scarface.
Many phrases you hear used by rappers are copied verbatim from
Scarface. Examples include The Geto Boys album (Geto Boys) the
hook for "Fuck Em' All" is sampled from Scarface. The
sample at the beginning of the Kool G Rap song "Fast Life"
is from Scarface. The rapper Scarface took his name from the
- (v) To plan to do something to get someones money, most often
by cheating. "And the girls that been scheming, gonna get
creamed when I" -- The Gravediggaz (Tonite is a special
- (n) A specific era in hiphop history. There have been many
discussions about the difference between the "Old School"
and the New School". One accepted view was put to words
in alt.rap by Charles L. Isbell:
All of time can
be divided pretty easily this way:
- Everything before "Run DMC" (Run DMC )
- Everything before "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold
Us Back" (Public Enemy )
It gets harder after that, but maybe you'd have to label parallel
movements with stuff like:
+ Everything before "Straight Outta Compton" (NWA
) and "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" (Ice Cube )
for the West Coast Gangsta Movement
+ Everything before "3 Feet High And Rising" (De La
Soul ) and "Low End Theory" (A Tribe Called Quest
) for the Jazz/Bohemian Movement
Others seem to think we're about to enter the Everything before
"93 'Til Infinity" (Souls of Mischief ) era for
the Ascendency of Hieroglyphics, but I'll reserve judgement on
There are also several dark moments: MC Hammer ushered in
the HipPop Era and Vanilla "No I really used to be rich;
May I take your order?" Ice ushered in something unspeakable
(Snow, if nothing else).
Hmmmmm, here's a way to pass the time: what are the key moments/movements
and what albums/artists best represent them? How have they influenced
the direction of rap? Making no value judgements, I'd have to
say that the four most influential hiphop moments/movements are
the ones I listed above and for obvious reasons.
- Scooby Doo
- 1) (n) The cartoon character.
2) (n) A blunt. "Scooby Doo, where the fuck are you?"
-- Cypress Hill (??? [??]).
3) (n) The B-side on Lick a Shot (US).
- 1) (v) Look at something. "Scope that bitch"
2) (v) Stare down someone.
- scrap a lick
- (v) As in "can't scrap a lick", meaning, can't
put up a fight, has a poor fighting ability. From Dr. Dre (Fuck
wit Dre day).
- (n) Money, loot. "Scrilla scratch paper" -- E-40
(One love [??]).
- (v) To play a hip-hop record at a slower speed, said to accentuate
the bass and facilitate mixes with ballads. Also screw mixes,
get my screw on. Originated in the late 80's, when Fresh Records
released 12" singles at 45 rpm. Many DJ's missed the speed
designation and mistakenly played it at the slower 33 rpm speed.
Many listeners began to intentionally request those records (esp.
Mantronix's "Fresh is the Word") at the slow speed.
Now done with CD players with variable pitch (or vinyl).
- (n) Money, loot. "Scrilla scratch paper" -- E-40
(One love [??]).
- (n) Seattle.
- sell out
- (n) Doing something purely for the financial gain, Selling
your soul. "Should Ice Cube sell out? You say hell no!"
-- Ice Cube (When will they shoot? [??]).
- (n) An abbreviation of the word "sinsemellia",
which is a form o marijuana that has no seeds, because it is
isolated from male pollen during te blooming process. Instead
of making seeds, the marijuana plant makes more THC, hence this
"sense" is more potent, and generally better than standard
- 1) (v) To defeat an opponent with skill.
2) (v) To deliver a subpoena
- 1) (n) A denomination of one of the larger gangs, a set is
not necessarily friendly with other sets in the same gang. "Baby
girl asked me what set am I claiming" - Sir MixaLot (Rapper's
2) (n) The group of songs in a concert by a specific performer.
- set tripping
- (v) Killing someone in your own gang, but who is in a different
set. i.e. a different street but in the same gang.
- (n) Handcuffs.
- (n) A custom made knife as used in prisons, made from whatever
materials are available. "You better grab your shank, cuz
ain't no fistfight" -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy [??]).
- (n) Shaton or Shaitan is an Arabic word meaning "devil".
"At night the evil armies of Shaton don't play" --
Fugees (Family business ).
- Shea Town
- (n) New York, from Shea stadium.
- (n) Under the influence of drugs. "Smokin' dope is like
a sherm high niggaz think they learned to fly" -- 2Pac (Hit
'Em Up ) or "Niggaz gettin' shermed out" - 2Pac
(To Live And Die In L.A. )
- sherm stick
- (n) Marijuana dipped in embalming fluid.
- (adj) See mark or newjack. A rookie or one who purports to
be more than he is. "And he knew he was shife, he knew he
was hype" -- Bust Down (Nasty bitch (intro) ).
- (n) See booty. "Shimmy shimmy ya!" - Ol' Dirty
Bastard (Shimmy shimmy ya ).
- sholda than show
- (interj) Surer than sure.
- shook one
- (n) Individual who acts like he is tough, but when things
get hectic or tense, he gets scared and acts like the punk he
really is. They have been shook up by the reality and are labeled
shook ones. "Shook ones" -- Mobb Deep (Shook ones pt.
- (n) Vehicle.
- 1) (n) Little person.
2) (n) Female, like baby or honey. "I got myself a shorty,
I got myself a forty" -- Wu-Tang Clan (Method Man).
3) (n) A seven ounce bottle of beer.
- (n) Shotgun.
- show and prove
- (v) Demonstrate.
- show case
- (v) To carry out a fraud.
- (n) A person who acts two-faced.
- (n) See psych.
- 1) (n) Derived from simpleton, used for rhyming with pimp.
"Short baby I ain't no simp, but the nigga in the suit ain't
nothin' but a pimp" -- Too $hort (Cocktales [??]).
2) (v) To sing and pimp. From Boyz II Men (Simpin' ain't easy).
- (n) Woman of the same group; friend.
- (n) A scandalous woman.
- (n) See freak. "If you wanna know what a skeezer is,
it's a girl who's on my jock cause I'm in showbiz" -- LL
Cool J. (??? [??]).
- (n) General ability; ability on the microphone.
- 1) (n) The lips of the vagina. "She likes to bend over
and then she spreads the skins" -- Brand Nubian (Slow down
2) (n) Condom.
3) (n) Rolling papers.
- (n) A female.
- (v) Acting bizarre or crazy, from schizophrenic.
- (v) Getting oral sex performed. "My buddy, daz dilly,
we gettin' skully" - Kurupt (My Buddy ).
- (n) A medium grade and smelly form of marijuana.
- 1) (n) The ground; to lower a car to the slab: to lower down.
"I'm breaking em down to the slab" -- Rage (The chronic
2) (n) Crack.
- 1) (adj) Dynamic.
2) (adj) Something really good/attractive. "And may I say,
may I say, that, that outfit you got on is slammin'" --
L.L. Cool J (MrGoodbar).
- (v) The act of selling drugs.
- (n) A Caddillac Seville, because of the slanted trunk of
the earlier models.
- slap skins
- 1) (v) Slapping hands together.
2) (v) Having sex. Slapping skins, hitting skins, getting skins,
etc. Skins being the skin of the opposite sex.
- (n) Los Angeles street. "The sun went down when I hit
Slauson" -- Dr. Dre (Let Me Ride [??]).
- sleep [on]
- (v) Ignore. (v) To be unaware or unprepared. You can creep
up on someone while they are "sleeping" (even if they
- 1) (adj) On the downward trend, losing the edge. "Cause
you're slipping!" -- Boogie Down Productions (You're slipping
2) (v) Not paying attention "Yeah I caught that fool slippin'
and I smoked him" -- ?? (??? [??]).
- (n) Derogatory name for a member of the Bloods, an L.A. gang,
used by members of the Crips, another L.A. gang.
- slow your roll
- (interj) Slow down whatever you are doing. "Slow ya
roll like your leg was broken" -- Kurupt (For my niggaz
and my bitches ).
- (adj) Under the influence of drugs.
- (v) See slapping skins.
- 1) (v) Killing someone. "Right then, I knew I had to
smoke his ass" -- N.W.A. (Gangsta gangsta ).
2) (v) To get smoked: to get under the influence of drugs. "I'm
in the land gettin' smoked with my kinfolk" - Tha Luniz
(I Got 5 On It )
- (n) a form of verbal jestering. Also French and English speaking
Africans especially in Dakar and Paris say 'oh snap' in two contexts.
1) 'oh snap' if you get bagged on (snapped on) and 2) meaning
'oh shit' as in 'I didn't know' or 'I forgot something'.
- (n) Money.
- (n) Sportswear shoes. "I wear my sneakers but I'm not
a sneak" -- RUN-DMC (My Adidas).
- (n) Cocaine.
- soggy indo
- (n) A joint (see marijuana) that has been dipped in PCP or
- (n) Non-OG gangbanger.
- South Central
- (n) Los Angeles area. A very important place for gangsta
rap. Origin of a lot of rappers.
- (n) The E-MU SP-12 (or SP-1200), a high-end sampling drum
machine for rap music production. These pieces of equipment came
out around 1985 and 87 respectively. The SP-12 did not have an
internal disk drive, but EMU saw the problems since it only worked
with a Commodore diskdrive. So they made the next model with
an internal drive. Incidentally Ced-Gee of Ultra-Magnetics was
the first person in hip-hop to use this machine which has become
one of the most sought after pieces of equipment to date. So
much that EMU has reissued the SP-1200. "Just me, a mic,
and an SP-12" -- Young MC (Album Filler).
- (n) Jamaican marijuana cigarette, see marijuana.
- (v) Firing a round of bullets. "Pulled out the uzi,
cruised by and sprayed him" -- Ice Cube (Gangsta's Fairytale).
- 1) (adj) Erected. "Sprung, niggaz call her lips 'n lungs"
-- Ice Cube (Check yo self [??]).
2) (adj) Obsessed with something.
3) (n) Released on bail by someone else.
- (n) Shortened form of "to squabble"; to fight,
physicallly confront. "Quick to squab, always down for the
job" -- E-40 featuring Suga T (Sprinkle me [??]).
- (v) To end, Squash that beef.
- squeeze the trigger
- (v) To shoot a gun. "Yo homeboy,squeeze the trigger!"
-- Ice T. (squeeze the trigger) [198?]
- St. Ides
- (n) A specific brand of maly liquor. Ice Cube and Scarface
have done radio commercials for St. Ides. "Gotta get tha
S-T-I-D-E-S, first of tha month" -- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
- stab out
- (v) To leave.
- stack up
- (v) Making money, often used in conjunction with paper. "This
kid here is all about stackin' up" -- Lil Bow Wow (Bounce
with me )
- (n) Pistol. "Finger on the trigger with my hand upon
the steel" --Cypress Hill (Hand on the pump )
- (n) Style.
- step off
- (v) Back away from a confrontation.
- step to
- (v) Engage a confrontation. "So don't step to me 'cause
you boys 'll get wacked" -- Ice-T (Power).
- step up
- (v) See step to.
- (n) Pronounced as "steelo", is a term that like
a lot of other hip-hop terms originated in New York City. It
is Spanish, and it means style.
- 1) (n) Okay.
2) (n) Short for stright up, truly, used for emphasis. "Straight
booty" or "straight wack".
- (n) A gun.
- (adj) Strapped in: armed.
- (n) Someone who willingly exchanges sexual services for drugs.
"Strawberry, Strawberry is the neighbourhood ho" --
N.W.A. (Dopeman ).
- 1) (v) To be out on parole. "27 years old, out on parole,
stroll." -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy [??]).
2) (n) To drive one's car.
- Strong island
- (n) Long island.
- 1) (n) Sexual act.
2) (n) A person who performs stunts.
3) (n) To pull a stunt, to try something difficult.
- 1) (adj) Creative.
2) (adv) Very. "Evil's got the funky beat, a stupid dope
loop" -- Ice-T (Fried chicken ).
- (n) person easily duped.
- Sucka Free
- (n) San Francisco.
- (n) Short for "Some wild-ass silly shit".
- (n) Southwest Atlanta. Home of Outkast, Goodie Mob, Kriss
Kross, Parental Advisory.
- (n) I'm out of here, I'm ghost. From the movie "Ghost"
which features the actor Patrick Swayze, used for example in
a cut by EPMD..
- 1) (n) over-patronize.
2) (v) Worry, as in "don't sweat it".
3) (v) Harrass or scrutinize. "There's one or two narcs
in the area that's sweatin' me" -- Digital Underground (Sex
- (adj) Cool, dope, fresh.
- (n) Car.
- (n) To have sexual intercourse (Grand Puba).
- swing low
- (n) To have oral sex (Kool Moe Dee).
- (n) Your average toggle switch. Low-riding drivers use them
to control the hydrolics or any other electrical device in their
cars. "Rollin' in my fo' with sixteen switches" Dr.
Dre -- (Let Me Ride).
- (n) "Syrup", a popular drink, contains Promethazine
With Codiene Cough Syrup, vodka or rum, Milk of Magnesia (a common
medicine for stomache pain), and candy; usually "Now and
Laters" (soft "taffy" style candy) or "Jolly
Ranchers" (watermelon flavored hard candy) - often served
in a baby bottle. Continues the Southern tradition of the slow
"Screw Mixes" originated by DJ Screw from the early
1990's. Music is pitched to deliberately slow speeds to portray
a warped, psychedelic feeling.
- Empfehlungen zum weitersurfen:
Das älteste unkommerzielle eMag Deutschlands!
Sticker, Snippets, etc. gratis per Post!
- Alles zum Thema: Locations, Stores, Dates, Mp3, etc.
Infos zu regelmäßigen
Clubs und Jams
- Votet gelegendlich bei folgenden "Toplisten"
für uns, damit dies hier auch in Zukunft weiter ausgebaut
wird! [Auch gut zum weitersurfen..]
- HipHop.de Top 100
- Mzee Rec. Top 50
- Rapz.de Top 50